Friday, April 29, 2011

Incident that changed my life - I

image

I was stationed at Jodhpur, the second biggest city of Rajasthan, in the North western part of India.  The city is known for its handicrafts as well as palaces all on all  a popular tourism destination. This beautiful city is also known as the ‘Sun City’ or  ‘Suryanagari’ in Hindi.

It was summer of 2004, while in transit I met one of  my friends going towards Library. He was going to library to return a book. I shook hand with him, a casual discussion followed.

While a few minutes into the discussion I had a glance of the book he was carrying. It aroused my curiosity, I wanted to have a look into the book. He happily handed over the book to me. I went through the first few pages.

I was so impressed by the book that I asked my friend to borrow this book. Incidentally as if it was a gods plan, He was going to library to return the book. I followed him to the library. I got the book issued to me.

I was not much into reading books at that time and in fact believed that these books helped the authors more than that to a reader. But this book was different. There was a good amount of practical implications of what the author has to say.

I was  eager to get back home, so that I can go through the book. Once I returned back home and started reading the book, I couldn’t put it down until completion.

The thing which captured my imagination was the simplicity of the book, though the book dealt with money and finance. The  sheer simplicity with which the author described the intricacies of financial jargon was amazing. It was a kind of layman's guide to personal finance and investment. The book was ‘Rich Dad Poor Dad’ by Robert Kiyosaki.

It changed my way of thinking. suddenly lights were turned on, I could see the world in a different shade now. I will share the lessons from this book in the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gallery

Pin It